To birth or not to birth?
That was the question on Friday night (the 21st). But let me back up a few hours. Earlier in the day, I was at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) at my church. After it was done, I noticed a message on my phone. My mom had called and had offered to take Kate for the weekend, because Nathan would be in Baraboo for a youth retreat anyway. I was overjoyed - a weekend to myself!! What would I do? Then I second-guessed myself - no, I would be too lonely without Kate. Then I came to my senses and decided that it was best to send Kate to Grandma's. :) Nathan also thought it was a good idea, so I ran home to pack her up.
After I dropped her off at the church around 3, I went to Target to make some returns and purchases. I was exhausted by the time I checked out, but pushed myself to run to Babies R Us to make a few more returns. When would I be free to run errands on my own again? So, another hour later, I arrived home (at around 6). My back was killing me and my feet hurt. I laid on the couch to watch a movie and eat pistachio nuts. Immediately I began to feel my contractions start up. Not to worry - I was used to this feeling of my stomach tightening up. I have been experiencing it for quite some months now.
But an hour later, I realized that they were happening quite frequently. So I began to time them, all the while trying to focus on the movie. Oh dear - 10 in an hour....not good. So I drank a lot of water and changed sides to lay on. Another hour later and they were still coming that fast. Okay, time to call Nathan. I needed to let him know that he may be turning around to come back to Illinois. He was a good sport - he was ready to jump in the car and come home. Then I called a friend to see if she would be willing to take me to the hospital if I needed her. She wasn't home. So I called someone else - she was entertaining guests but was definitely willing. I decided to wait a little longer before calling my doctor. I really didn't want to go into the hospital, only to find out they were fake, so I waited just to be sure these contractions were real. And boy did they feel real!! I was having pain with them, and I felt just like I did when I went into labor with Kate. But, the contractions were only 30 seconds long, not a minute.
Finally I pushed my pride aside and called the doctor. He really didn't help me - he said it was up to me if I wanted to go into the hospital. He advised that I wait till the contractions became stronger and longer. So I took a shower and went to bed. By that time I was beyond exhausted - emotionally and physically. If the contractions were real, I figured they would wake me up later anyway. Oh what sweet, sweet sleep awaited me. Although I did not sleep straight through the night (I woke up about 6 times), my sleep was deep.
So, there is no baby boy to report, only a slightly exciting story of false labor. :( We are getting more and more excited to meet our little boy though - only 3 weeks left! Pray for us as we are dealing with many things in our life - struggles with time and energy, wisdom with parenting Kate, discernment with things going on in our church, finding enough sleep, and strength for each of us (especially me!!). The next time I blog, I may be announcing the birth of our child - exciting times are ahead of us!
1 Comments:
I love it! Your blog read like a novel I couldn't put down!! I have to say I was hoping that there was a baby boy at the end of it....but soon enough!
We will be so excited to hear the news of Kate's little brother!
Post a Comment
<< Home